Are you planning to move to New York for a while? First, you must check out the apartments to rent in New York. Then you will need to know about the hazards there are when living in New York. These include North Easter Storms and Hurricanes.
What to Expect From a North Easter
This is one of winter’s most violent storms, and occurs between the months of October and April. The cold arctic air begins to combine from the north with the moist air of the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean.
If the storm moves up the east area of the US building low pressure it usually results in rain. They are also known as on-shore forming. If the storm starts to build just in to the ocean this will cause traffic jams, intense waves that crash over coastal cities and beaches as well as power outages
New York City Apartments Preparing For a Hurricane
The hurricane season is usually between the months of June through to November. Here is how you can protect yourself if you are living New York City apartments:
- If away from home at this time of the year, make sure friends and family back home know exactly where you are staying. Let them know what the procedure is if a hurricane suddenly hits the city.
- Keep listening to radio and TV updates.
- Stock up a few supplies in your New York City apartments, such as water, food, flashlights, radios and a first aid kit.
- Know what you need to do if an evacuation is called for.
Prepare ahead of time an evacuation plan. Make sure you have all the necessary phone number and addresses, as well as map and possibly a GPS. Do not forget to include your pets when making your plan and evacuation list.
You will also need to make an inventory of your New York City apartments. Collect all the documents you will need, such as insurances and income tax procedures.
What to Put In an Evacuation Kit
- Sleeping bags and clothing
- Bottled water
- Infant, elderly or disabled family member’s special care items
- Battery powered radio, flash light and spare batteries.
- Cell phone chargers
- Laptops or PC hard drives
- Pet accessories
- Fill the fuel tank of your car and park ready to leave
You must also make sure you have important documentation with you such as licenses, marriage and birth certificates, mortgage, wills, credit cards. These are just a few names examples. There are much more and should be placed in a watertight safe deposit box.